Friday 14 March 2014

Behind the picture: technical description (Mar. 14/14)

john king photo
A technical breakdown of this photo reveals there are many
things to consider when planning an important photo.
Journalists face uncertainty every day. Photojournalists often place themselves in situations that are uncertain. While taking a photo of a drinking water intake seems simple, there are always a variety of things to consider when taking such a photo. 

Having lived in Kamloops, B.C., off and one since July 2012, I have learned how the sun rolls around this place. When thinking about how I was to shoot the water intake, I realized a morning shot before the sunrise would suit my purposes well. This is because the sun shines bright on the river, almost too bright, to get a proper shot of the intake, which is coloured somewhat dusty. At shot at dusk would find the sun and me on the wrong side of a good photograph.

So to do this, I had to go down to the river early in the morning and take a shot before the sun peeked through the clouds. I had to switch to an old wide angle lens I have to get something that contained the river, beach, and intake, as well as the sky and clouds.

Also, I had to find a spot to take the picture as the intake isn't the easiest place along the river to access. After parking my vehicle behind the front side of the intake, I walked a couple of blocks to a side road between some houses. There, I spotted a bit of beach between what I assumed is private property. From there I took my shot about 100 metres from the intake.

The technical aspects of the photo are as follows:

Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Date-Time: 3/21/2014 – 7:50:37 AM PDT
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 sec
Exposure: Manual
f-stop: 4.5
ISO: 400
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6


What is photo gazetteer?

The story behind the photograph is just as important as the photograph itself. This is a blog that will look at the stories behind the photographs shaping our world, everything from the small and mundane, to the big and spectacular. Feel free to comment on photos and share your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment