Sunday 23 March 2014

Behind the picture (Mar. 23/14)

john king photo
Lean into it: Micheal Griffiths speeds into the first turn of the final pro 250 class race as
part of the Stake Lake Ice Racing Series, a five-race format held on recreation grounds at the lake
located about 30 minutes south of Kamloops, B.C. Griffiths won the series with a 162 point total.
Mike Griffiths placed second with 111 points, and Dan MacKenzie placed third with 102.
I recently had the chance to cover motorcycle racing in winter. While I grew up in the frozen climes of Canada, I have never witnessed motorcycle racing on a frozen lake before. I picked the best day I could because it was clear sunny skies, albeit, the high pressure system made for chilly picture taking. But I have taken pictures in really cold climates before.

The handful of memories I can scrounge up include 10 seconds on a windy ice road smack dab in between Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk, which are places in the Northwest Territories. I had decided to stop and take a photograph of how the snow looked as the wind picked up and sifted the fine-coursed snow across the top of the endless frozen landscape. I nearly froze my fingers to take this photo because that's what happens when you expose your skin to temperatures in excess of -50 Celsius. Another time, I was taking photos of dog sled racing in northern Saskatchewan, and again, I nearly froze my digits. I was lucky, though, because the organizers had a bonfire that made things okay. 

While it wasn't nearly as cold out at Stake lake, it was cold enough. Add that to the release form all photographers sign before going out onto the track, the field of motorcycles flying in excess of 100 km/hr, and the fact that I could get as close to the action as I wanted, it all made for an interesting couple of shots.

I found out who the point leader was on this final day of racing, and then decided to focus the majority of shots on him rather than waiting for a crash to capture or shot with multiple motorcycle racers. I wanted a straight-forward picture, something elegant and calm amid the noise and chaos of the scene.

To me the beauty of this sport is in the tranquility of the rider, seen here, as he passes me by on a lazy long curve out on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment